Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hey Whidden Hospital - some thing are just not made to be ambidetrous!

Whidden Hospital


So here I sit, my left hand on my left side and my right hand on my right side. So things can not be made ambidextrous, not matter how hard you try. Even if think such things can be done, and will save your employer lots of money. It just can't be done.

Lets review; ambidextrous - From the Latin roots ambi - meaning both and dexter meaning right as opposed to left. Which is a different term than right, the direction, or right the correct answer. Mostly because in this case you were wrong, very very wrong.

Now I went to your medical office, well really the hospital's medical office, to get testing done in both my hands. See, my illness is doing damage to my nerve endings, and my hands have been well, messing up. Dropping things, not responding to my brain commands, and in general hurting a lot.

Now the doctor (for whom I reserve more personal rant - jerk) decided that I should wear wrist braces on both my right and left hands. I am left handed, so lets call them left and right hands.

The purchasing department in it's wisdom, decided to purchase wrists braces that were 'ambidextrous' that is could be used to brace either a left or right hand. Trust me on this, they can't. You either purchased a truck load of right handed wrist braces and are trying to pass them off as 'ambidextrous' or your hand does not look anything like mine. Or the hands of any of the nurses, doctors, or hand therapists* who tried to get this thing to work.

A hand brace is set up so that the palm side of the brace is shorter than the dorsum side of the brace. And, while I am at it, the Velcro is only on one side of the brace. When the brace is place on the left hand, that side would be the 'inside' of the brace. The dorsum side of the brace (on the right hand) is higher than the palm side of the brace. Causing the larger side of the brace to impede the ability of the fingers of the left hand to bend.

So do every body a favor. Spring the extra five or six cents and get braces built for both left and right hands. If not, I sentence you to a life time of wearing one of those 'ambidextrous' hand braces. I'll help install it.

* Yes I said hand therapist. She does physical therapy, not talk therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment, come back any time. Bring friends.

Just the fur, no beach

    follow me on Twitter