Friday, November 21, 2008

Semi annual poke and prod

I don't usually talk about my medical issues here, I see that as more of a live journal post. fibro witch Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with my doctor, one that I felt deserved this slightly larger platform.

We were discussing breast exams and what a person should be feeling for. The idea being that if something feels 'different' or you feel a lump, you should call the doctor. Well I have lupus, and most of my body tissue feels lumpy. Breast tissue is made of glandular tissue, and according to The Mayo Clinic this is how it is suppose to feel

-----
Glandular tissue usually feels firm and slightly rope-like, bumpy or lumpy (nodular); it's primarily felt in the upper, outer region of your breast. Surrounding fat tissue is soft; it's often felt in the inner and lower portions of your breast. The contrast between these two types of tissue is often more pronounced just before your period due to hormonal influences on the breast.
-----

In other words, you will always feel bumps and lumps, the question is are the bumps and lumps your feeling suppose to be there, or are they problem bumps and lumps? Frankly, I don't remember from month to month where the normal lumps and the abnormal lumps were.

Wondering what other people's experience with breast exams has been. What kind of guidance have you received to doing self breast exams?

2 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I found your blog through your profile... I was just diagnosed with lupus, myself. I've been battling kidney failure for about five months and am on chemotherapy right now.

    And I live in Cambridge!

    Anyway, I thought I'd say hi and tell you that I like your blog.

    I hope you are feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I hope your feeling well. I hate chemo, so grateful I am almost back in remission. I'll check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment, come back any time. Bring friends.

Just the fur, no beach

    follow me on Twitter