Wednesday, August 12, 2009

S.1630, “The Affordable Access to Prescription Medications Act of 2009

From the Lupus Foundation of America

On Thursday, August 6, 2009 Sen. John D. Rockefeller IV (D-WV) introduced S.1630, “The Affordable Access to Prescription Medications Act of 2009.”


The Lupus Foundation of America applauds and supports Senator Rockefeller for creating this important legislation which will provide Americans with chronic diseases vastly improved access to life-saving medications. “The Affordable Access to Prescription Medications Act of 2009” will protect people with lupus and other chronic diseases from high out-of-pocket expenses for their prescription drugs.

There are several potential new treatments in the near-term pipeline that may provide a better quality of life for people with lupus. But these anticipated new treatments will mean nothing if people with lupus are not able to access them because they are cost-prohibitive.

Considering my own prescription drug bills are over 1,000 dollars a month, I feel this bill makes amazing sense. I said just this morning to someone that if I did not have these oppressive medical bills I would be able to afford a much better life style. Heck, I could afford to have a life. Maybe not have to worry if I can afford to feed my pets and myself.

As the prescription drug program is set up now, there is a 'donut' hole. Where the plan stops paying after the first thousand dollars and does not pick up again until after the person has paid four thousand dollars. Even with insurance I still spent a bit over eight thousand dollars on medication last year. I expect to pay far more this year. Perhaps if S1630 passes I will be able to say I spent eight thousand dollars a year on books, and only one thousand a year on drugs.

Please help me convince Congress to pass this bill. I know the President will sign it, we just need it to pass. Maybe it will be to late for me, but then, maybe not.

1 comment:

Thanks for the comment, come back any time. Bring friends.

Just the fur, no beach

    follow me on Twitter