Tuesday, October 14, 2008

On meeting Todd McCaffrey


Meeting Todd McCaffrey was great, he is such a nice person and very friendly. He was open to talking to anyone who approached him, and was quite funny. He brought some pre-signed book plates, some with his mother's signature already on them. That way he could put his own signature on them, and pass them out. He joked that it was easier to have his mother pre-sign so that when she got tired he could continue on.

I was lucky enough to grab one of the other signed bookplates he had, one with Anne's signature on it, and her photo. I was joking that I could run them off on my scanner and get 'all' my books signed. Todd laughed and just ask me to not put them on Ebay. So I said 'so much for paying my medical bills'.

Watching him hold court every morning at breakfast was a hoot. I wish he would start attending more conventions, not just in support of his mother, but as a writer in his own right. Many people look at him not as a writer, but more of a Christopher Tolkien, taking their parents notes and turning them into books. But, in Todd's case this is not true, he is a writer. Todd will admit, he is working in a universe his mother created, but I feel he is deepening the universe, not just following in her foot steps.

So if any SMOF's are reading this, please invite Todd to your conventions. I promise to help with registration if you do. Honest.

Or not if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment, come back any time. Bring friends.

Just the fur, no beach

    follow me on Twitter