Friday, February 19, 2010

Writers block prompt

Live Journal has a daily writers prompt, anyone can submit one. They usually leave it up for 12 hours, then put in another one.  Today's prompt was an interesting one. So interesting that I decided to share both the question and my answer with every one who reads this blog.

Have you ever broken off a relationship with a friend because it was unhealthy for your self-esteem? Were you proud of your decision or did you regret it?


Yes and no.  I broke off a relationship with a guy who I think could have been my best friend in the entire world.  I broke it off because he is on a death spiral. He is going to drink himself to death, and at the rate he is drinking it will be soon. 

I use to think this guy had a lot of potential, that he needed someone to believe in him, before he could believe in himself.   Until I realized he was perfectly happy the way he was. He had no interest in changing, no interest in improving his life. 

I was a better friend to him, than he could be to me.  So I walked away. 

Which is sad, because several years ago when we meet, I was in a very dark place, and with his help I got out of it.  But he is just to lost, to lost for me to even toss him a rope to climb up. 

So I had no real choice, he was going to pull me down, or I was going to walk away.  And, I decided to walk away.  I am not proud of that, but I had to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment, come back any time. Bring friends.

Just the fur, no beach

    follow me on Twitter